Are your little ones so keen on feeding themselves? Do they love dipping their food into sauce? Do they love chicken nuggets? The answer is yes then this one is for them. These crunchy tiny chicken tots have all the fun in them. They are easy for little fingers to grab, dip and bite PLUS they are so delicious, healthy and versatile. Unlike those store-bought chicken nuggets, which contain a page of ingredients that you cannot possibly identify, these chicken tots can be whipped together by very few common ingredients that are available in most personal kitchen. And yet its taste beats the store-bought ones by miles!
As this recipe is specially for toddlers, they might be blanch for grownups. The good news is, you can season them as your heart desires separately and end up with scrumptious snack option for yourself. I suggest you double the amount suggested by this recipe and freeze some for another day as these tend to be requested quite often once tasted. I serve them as finger food for my daughter, as snack sometimes and as protein part of her lunch or dinner. You can make this homemade tomato sauce for your toddler to dip these chicken tots in or you can serve them with any other sauce of your choice.
Happy cooking mamas!
- • 400 gr skinned chicken breast
- • 10 gr fresh coriander leaves
- • 1 tbs corn flour
- • 1 cup of panko bread crumbs
- • 1 medium egg
- • 3 tbs grated cheese
- • 1 tsp garlic powder
- • 1 tbs olive oil
I haven’t added any salt to my 2-year-old daughter's food since she is used to eating this way. But I can imagine some toddlers need a bit of a flavor enhancer to eat more. If your toddler is like that you can add a pinch of salt to make it less bland.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Line a baking rack with aluminum foil.
- Wash chicken and cut into small chunks. Wash and chop the coriander leaves roughly.
- Put chicken chunks, chopped coriander leaves, corn flour, egg, garlic powder and olive oil in a food processor and pulse until everything is well mixed. If you don’t have a food processor, just buy ground chicken and use your hand or a spoon to mix with the rest of the ingredients mentioned in this step.
- Mix the breadcrumbs and cheese together and pour onto a flat plate.
- Moisture your hands with olive oil and scoop a spoon of chicken mixture onto your hands and shape into tots. Roll into breadcrumbs cheese mixture so that the tots are evenly covered. Place onto the baking rack and repeat with the rest of the chicken.
- Put the baking rack in the oven and bake at 200 degree C for 15 minutes. Change oven to grill function and grill for 3 more minutes to achieve the golden brown tots. Serve warm with a dipping sauce of your choice.
You can freeze this for later use by putting the tots done in step 5 to the freezer and freeze for 2 hours. After that put them in a ziplock bag and they last for a month.