Making two separate dinners (one for your toddler and the other one for the rest of the family) is the last thing I ever want to do. I guess many mothers out there can relate to this. Therefore I am really in favor of easily adjustable all-in-one recipes – recipes that contain all four essential groups of food: carb, protein, minerals and vitamins and healthy fat. This creamy macaroni recipe is definitely one of those. With this recipe you certainly do not have to make separate meals for your toddler and the rest of the family. You just have to set aside a portion for your little one before you season the rest with salt and pepper and you are saving yourself a lot of hassle in the kitchen ;). Another thing I love about this creamy macaroni is that you can make it with pretty much any vegetable combination that you crave, or simply with whatever greens you have available in your fridge. How convenient is that? Or by omitting the meat in this recipe, you then have a flavorful vegetarian creamy macaroni dish for yourself. The choice is yours.
Creamy Macaroni (easily vegetarian)
- 100 gram wholewheat macaroni
- 100 gram grounded lean beef
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1/3 cup sweet corn kernel (I used fresh corn)
- 1/3 cup courgette, chopped into small chunks
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp. oil of your choice (I used coconut oil)
- 1 tsp. nutmeg powder
- grated parmesan to top
- Cook the macaroni according to package instructions till al dente. Drain and reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking water. Set aside
- Whisk the egg yolk and cream until evenly mixed. Set aside
- In a saucepan, sauté the garlic in coconut oil until light golden brown, add the beef. Cook on medium heat for about 2 minutes. Stir occasionally. When the beef is slightly cooked, add the corn kernels and chopped courgette. Cook further for 3 minutes. Add the cooked macaroni, nutmeg and the egg-cream mixture. If the sauce is too dry, slowly add the reserved cooking water (you do not need to use all of it). Toss well until everything is coated in the egg-cream mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top with grated Parmesan cheese and serve warm.